Iris House Children's Hospice
Our mission is to provide holistic, loving, professional, free community and Hospice based respite, overnight and end of life care for special needs children with life threatening illness and or life limiting conditions in the Western Cape. We also provide holistic support for their families. We train our care team to a high standard and continually strive to train parents on ways to improve their child’s quality of life. We promote the concept that every life is a gift and valuable no matter how short that life maybe.
To be a responsive and innovative organisation that puts life limited and life threatened children, young people and their families first in all of our services, whilst embracing the diversity of our regional community and demonstrating integrity in everything we do.
We believe ...
- Every child is worthy of love, care and to feel safe, wanted and affirmed throughout their lifetime.
- Every child should be given the opportunities and help to achieve their full potential.
- Every family has the right to regular respite “relief” care.
- Families of special needs children should be empowered to improve their lives and that of their child.
- Every child should grow up in the most homely enviroment possible.
- Special needs children should not be discriminated against or segregated
- Every dying baby or child should be loved and cherished and die loved and with dignity.
Our care service is based around the needs of the whole family. We want to make a real difference to families who find themselves in unimaginable circumstances. Helping them live life to the full by providing opportunities for fun and laughter, as well as helping them through the tougher times.
Formed in June 2011, Iris House Children’s Hospice originally supported 12 families with community based care and family support. We now support over 350 children and their families with community and hospice based respite care. We have developed year round family support programs with support groups, family outings and treats. Our services have also extended to various therapies, including equine therapy, massage, body talk, surfing and participation in sensory story telling “Imagination Station”
Hours of Community Care Delivered 28 Feb 2016 - 1March 2017
Hours of Hospice Care Delivered 28 Feb 2016 - 1March 2017
Sue van der Linde
Founder - Chairman
Volunteer Advisor- Snr Carer
Registered Nurse- Hospice Manager
Care Team Manager
Ashley van Heerden
Assistant to CEO
Equine Behaviour Trainer
Ashley van Heerden
Khunjulwa Princess Simayile
Thantaswa Portia Mandoyi
Elizabeth Anne Sykes
Zoleka Sylvia Jamangile
Dambisa Cynthia Rotyi
Caronicia Jesmine Hanekom
Juliana Pinkie Manyengavana
Nokuthula Nancy Dube
Chantel Binnedette Smith
Ntsheetseng Gladys Letshela
Zoliswa Alicia Jama